Friday, July 1, 2011

Cape Town's Davidsonians

Davidson folks have a way of finding one another.  It is often repeated that anytime an alum, current student, or parent sees a fellow Davidson bumper sticker, beach towel, or t-shirt, we honk the horn and wave, stop the person on the beach by the towel or donning the t-shirt and shriek, “DAVIDSON?!!! Did YOU go to Davidson?” Our pride is unique and I LOVE it.  Just today I received an email from a friend  (c/o 2007) who had heard about this blog from another dear friend and former roommate who had mentioned it to her at a Davidson alum event in DC last night.  Word travels fast among Davidson folk. So I guess it should come as no surprise (though it certainly did!) that I found my friend and old Cambridge buddy, Kaitlin Parker, had also made Cape Town her home this summer.  Thanks to the wonders of Facebook, I noticed she had posted, “Happy Birthday from Africa!” on a fellow Davidsonian’s wall.  Seeing that sparked my inquiry as I knew I had written similar posts this past month. Still, I thought to myself AFRICA is a CONTINENT and what are the chances that Kaitlin is actually IN South Africa – much less, this city?!  Turns out, pretty good.  Kaitlin also just finished her first year of her Masters Program (at University of Southern California Annenberg School of Broadcast Journalism) and is in Cape Town working for a local radio station and getting a few hours of course credit, too.  So thousands of miles away from our respective homes (she’s a Texan by birth, West Coaster by choice) we found each other in the City by the Sea.  Ironically, we shared our late July birthdays together six years ago on a Davidson Summer Program at Cambridge University.  Who would have thought, first England 2005 and now South Africa 2011!

There are 10 other students on Kaitlin’s program from USC in Cape Town and through another small world connection they have found a group of Cape Townians who know how to drink and cook – thus, making fast friends. They call themselves the GDC (Great Dinner Club) and hosted us to an Israeli/Greek/ Shabbat dinner last week.  Up next, the Americans are hosting a good ol’ 4th of July Bash!  Should be great fun…and Spencer and Fernando (fellow Clinton School classmates who are completing their International Public Service Projects in rural Tanzania) will be visiting Cape Town just in time for it! A true American celebration – international style and in WINTER no less - will ensue!

On a side note, on Wednesday, Nicky, Nailah and I went to a book launch at a local bookstore of  Sewanee history professor Ralph Levine’s book on a 19th century Xhosa Chief.  Seems Sewanee folk find one another in the midst of South Africa too! Three Bishop Tutu Scholars from the University of the South were in attendance; the professor was quite amazed all three were able to make it.  I took a picture of the Sewanee gals with Dr. Levine to put in the school’s alumni magazine.  Wahoo for Southern small liberal arts schools I said to the Sewanee professor as I mentioned that I was a history major at Davidson.  “Ahh Davidson,” he remarked, “what Sewanee is always striving to be!”  Though I immediately replied (truthfully) that I thought Sewanee was a fabulous school indeed, my Davidson pride couldn’t help but shine through my smiling face.   There’s just something special about your alma mater no matter where in the world you find yourself.   

1 comment:

  1. Hey Molly! Enjoyed having you and your friends over for some old fashioned American fun last night. Hope you had a 'Glorious' time :)

    ReplyDelete