Friday, July 15, 2011

Long Lost Cousins...

Wednesday started off a typical day at the Desmond Tutu Peace Centre.  I sat at my computer doing research and planning for Thursday’s focus group.   I was, however, sitting in a new desk as Kate, Nicky and I have been moved recently due to additional folks (this week: auditors) in the office.  The desk I was occupying is right in front of the door, so I was being mistaken as a receptionist for most of the morning…which was fine by me, though I did get a few puzzled glances when visitors heard the welcome in a strong and true Arkansas accent.  Several groups were scheduled to meet with the Archbishop on Wednesday, including a group of Americans from Notre Dame.  After I shepherded the Fighting Irish into the Board Room, I greeted a couple with matching tartans (hers – a scarf; his -  a tie and vest).  Interesting, I thought to myself as I went to fetch Vivian, the Archbishop’s personal assistant, to take care of them.  As I got back to work on my laptop, I thought I heard Vivian say “Hello Mr. and Ms. McGowan.  Welcome.   Would you like some tea?”  Was I hearing things?  Surely so.  I refrained from my instinctive, “Did you say MCGOWAN?!” to save myself the potential embarrassment.   Instead, I only smiled and then cornered Vivian in the kitchen as she went to prepare their tea.  “Vivian, what is the tartan people’s surname?” I asked (quite proud of myself for remembering to say surname).  Sure enough she replied, “McGowan.”  I was giddy with delight as I then spelled M-C-G-O-W-A-N just to make sure I had heard her correctly.  Thinking I was a bit mad for this much enthusiasm over a surname, she simply smiled and said yes.  With that knowledge, I raced back to the tartan-clad couple and blurted, “I think we must be kin.  I am a McGowan too!” 

Ina and James McGowan were delightful people who have started a ministry called the Mighty Men Tartan (www.mightymentartan.com), which sells and produces the only Christian tartan in the world.  My Methodist side was a bit overwhelmed with their evangelical message, but they were quite kind nonetheless. James is a world renowned bag piper and he and Ina, a native Capetonian, married 5 years ago after meeting in the UK.  They had met the Archbishop before and were returning to give him a custom made Mighty Men Tartan hat.   Ironically, James’s youngest daughter is named Molly.  It reminded me of the only time in my life I have met another Molly McGowan in person…that time just happened to be at the White House during President Clinton’s last official Christmas Party as Commander in Chief.  I was a junior at Little Rock Central High School; the other MM, an architect at the Polshek Partnership, which was in the process of designing the Clinton library. (Love that I am now writing about this as a CLINTON School of Public Service Student)  Though I regret that I did not have time to learn more about James McGowan’s daughter, I do know her full name is Molly Frances (of course, I had to ask) and she is the youngest child.  Maybe one day our paths will cross.  Until then, James and Ina were incredibly gracious, even giving me a Mighty Men Tartan of my own.  See attached picture of all three of us donning the beautiful fabric.  I was honored and proud to meet what surely must be my long lost cousins…

1 comment:

  1. Who would have thought the McGowan clan would have wandered so far south this season! Nice. I want to see the scarf in LR.

    ReplyDelete